Sunday, August 28, 2011

Lord, Save Me

And immediately Jesus stretched forth His hand, and caught me. (see Matt 14)


Image from New Life Experience 101

It's probable that I've mentioned this before, but one of my favorite Bible stories is when Jesus and Peter walked on the water. He sent his disciples ahead and told them he would catch up. But it was very late and dark and the ship the disciples were on was already far adrift in the ocean. It was stormy; wind and waves all around. Well the disciples saw Jesus and first thought he was a spirit. It was very dark. The scriptures say it was the 4th watch. I don't know what time that was, but as I understand it, it was pretty much the middle of the night. Jesus tells the men to not fear, it's Him. Peter asks Jesus basically to prove that it's Him by bidding him to come to Jesus on the water. Jesus so bade.

Peter faithfully, I believe, stepped out onto the water. I wonder how long he walked on the water before he began to sink. It doesn't really say how long he walked, only that he walked. And that is remarkable! But then Peter looked about him and saw the waves and the wind. "But when he saw the wind boisterous, he was afraid; and beginning to sink, he cried, saying, Lord, save me."

I love this next verse. I love our Savior's response time to Peter.
And immediately Jesus stretched forth his hand, and caught him," (italics added). IMMEDIATELY! Then he asked Peter why he doubted. "Why did you doubt?"



It's interesting the order of things, isn't it? The instant Peter asked for help, Jesus gave it. He didn't first say, "now, listen, before I pull you out of the sea, you need to think about some things. You lack faith. Why did you doubt?" First, he honored his brother's request, and then went over some things with him to help him learn for the next time Peter has reason to doubt.

Well, this story has been in my head the past few weeks, so the other night, I put it to good use. I had been feeling like Samuel the Lamanite. Not that I was preaching, not that I was righteous, but that I felt like arrows were coming at me. Arrows of temptation. And I wanted to, so badly, give in. And I wanted to, so badly, be free. These to opposing interests always coexist for a while, but not for long. One of them has to win. The other day, my desire for freedom was stronger, and I said aloud, sincerely, "Lord, save me!"

And immediately, peace came to my heart. The temptation didn't disappear. But I was granted a bit of clarity, and during that moment, I read a poem a friend of mine wrote, and it gave me more strength. I realized that in the few hours that remained in the day, I could make it. I could make it just a few more hours. I could take control of the day, and I got to choose how it ended.

After, and only after, I was safe, the Lord guided me to wonder why I gave credence to those arrows that sailed past me. Why did I doubt that I could withstand them? Why did Peter doubt that he could walk on water with waves all around him?

Notice how Jesus didn't answer the question for Peter. It's personal, something we must work out ourselves. Why do we doubt? Whom do we doubt? What do we doubt? Why did I doubt?

Oh, God, give me strength, grant me courage.

I think I'm back!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell it like it is!