Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Close Enough

I know that I need to get closer to the Savior. In Bible times, Jesus never turned away a soul who sought Him in order to be healed. I can't think of a single time He turned anyone away.

I love the story of the woman with an issue of blood. Luke chapter 8:

43 ¶And a woman having an issue of blood twelve years, which had spent all her living upon physicians, neither could be healed of any,

44 Came behind him, and touched the border of his garment: and immediately her issue of blood stanched.

45 And Jesus said, Who touched me? When all denied, Peter and they that were with him said, Master, the multitude throng thee and press thee, and sayest thou, Who touched me?

46 And Jesus said, Somebody hath touched me: for I perceive that virtue is gone out of me.

47 And when the woman saw that she was not hid, she came trembling, and falling down before him, she declared unto him before all the people for what cause she had touched him, and how she was healed immediately.

48 And he said unto her, Daughter, be of good comfort: thy faith hath made thee whole; go in peace.

There's that word "immediately" again. Every time I return to God, I feel grace immediately. Even if only a little. You know, it's based on how committed I am. The more committed I am, the more I feel His presence. The more faith I exhibit, the greater peace I feel at that moment of return.

I've given into my addictions waaaay more times than I can count. But, I've never felt anything but open arms when I want to return to my Savior. I know His love, and there is nothing sweeter.

It's so easy for me to stray from His side. I just need to be close enough to touch Him, all the time. The woman in the story knew she could be healed. As the disciples mentioned, there was a crowd, and anyone could have touched Jesus. But I imagine Jesus knew the touch of faith and how it differed from regular bumps in a crowd.

Immediately, the faithful woman was healed. She got close enough to Him. She was right by Him. That's where I need to be.

1 comment:

  1. Not sure if you have read Conquering Your Own Goliaths or not but he writes of the woman with the issue of blood in there. It's a chapter titled "Who Touched Me?"

    I love the story so much that I wrote to Deseret Publishing Company and asked them for permission to publish just that chapter on my blog. They agreed! You will love the story.

    Here it is:
    http://www.bythelightofgrace.com/2012/11/who-touched-me.html

    ReplyDelete

Tell it like it is!