Saturday, February 9, 2013

Stepping into my Life; A Confession

Recovery is a strange thing. It's a powerful thing, an enlightening thing, a transforming thing.

You know how people who lose weight and keep it off say things like "It's a lifestyle change!" This is one reason I'm scared to lose weight. I am not interested in changing my entire lifestyle! That sounds way too hard.

However, I have found that recovery from addiction is very similar. I have noticed that, for myself, I cannot recover without changing many aspects of the way I live the rest of my life. There is no such thing as simply changing my addiction. I can't eliminate it without eliminating other bad habits in my life, without creating new ones, without, essentially, changing my entire life.

But here's the thing. It's not that hard! I mean, it's not as huge or as hard as it sounds. Because, as I make changes in one area, I find that I want to make changes in another area. Success breeds success, yes?

Here's the other thing. It's slow. I cannot and do not expect change to happen overnight. I am becoming much, much more patient with myself, and this patience has been very enabling.

Another thing I have noticed is I am slowly becoming acquainted with my life. My life is rich and filled with beauty! I feel like I'm finally becoming a parent! I have always, always loved and cherished my children, of course. But I haven't always been there for them. I have been overcome with this addiction every second of my life, even when I wasn't actively participating in it. Addiction is a force, you know? A horrible, debilitating force that takes you out of your life. At least that's how it's been for me.

But now I'm stepping back into my life. I'm finding out who I am as it relates to my life. It's a very exciting and humbling journey. I'm seeing everything in a new light; most especially my children. I am seeing so clearly the mistakes I have made over the last nine years regarding them. (During my marriage, I wasn't actively engaged in my addiction, but I was actively engaged in hopeless depression, which also took me away from my kids.) I do feel a great deal of guilt about the way I've raised my kids. But I have to forgive myself, because I really was doing the best I could with what I knew.

I make parenting mistakes daily. I feel I haven't been able to focus on parenting all these years because I have focused so much on addiction and/or abstinence. It's tragic, really. I have missed out on so much, and my kids have missed out on a fully invested parent. It's not fair. Addiction is a robber.

I can't go back and fix it. I can't go back and be the parent I should have been. But I can change today. I can forgive myself and move forward. I can step into my life, step into my kids' lives, and slowly change my lifestyle so that I am focusing on them.

How I love my sweet children.

Now, onto something a little less positive. Last night something happened. I made some choices that were not in line with my lifestyle changes. It wasn't a slip. It wasn't a stumble. It was more of a temporary loss of balance, but I caught myself before I fell. I took my eyes off the goal and looked at the storm around me, and lost my balance. I ignored the warnings of the Spirit. But, I did regain my footing before I lost complete control of where I stood.

I woke incredibly angry at myself. How could I? But, it served as a good reminder that I am still wobbly, that I am still not out of the woods, that I'm still fragile.

Onward!

7 comments:

  1. Girl I think your very last line is so profound. "it served as a good reminder that I am still wobbly." PERFECT way to look at it! I often feel that way too... as I sometimes try and reintroduce things I've steered away from and they shake me... "ok, no big deal... I'm just not there yet."... and that's true. We just aren't there yet. And who knows.. maybe we'll never be... but at least we will always be in the arms of our Savior so long as we choose to be. That's one thing we can always have. Proud of you for looking at the positive and learning from this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sidreis! Yes, I figured there would be a positive I could find so I found it. And, who knows, maybe there's more, too. :)

      Delete
  2. So true! When I first started recovery, I told myself I would be fixed after 12 weeks. One step a week. In my mind, I'd be fixed and then I could go right back to what I always did! Then I realized that I would ALWAYS have those problems! I can't fix myself and then jump back into the scum pond. I have to stay away. And I'm still wobbly in some areas, but the Lord is always there to steady me, if I call out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol, I was mightily discouraged when I was still needing meetings after 12 weeks in the ARP, haha. Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  3. I... am so inspired right now. Thank you for being brave, for working hard, for not giving up, for finding faith and change and for sharing it with us. For new outlooks and understanding. I'm literally watching a change right before my eyes and this is truly, truly inspiring. Thank you for choosing the everyday choices that you're choosing. Seriously. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aahh! Thank you for these humbling, sweet words!! I love you too! You're amazing and I'm very glad to share this journey with you!

      Delete
  4. Erin, these are the kinds of comments that I hear from guys in my SA group that have been able to maintain sobriety long term. You are truly an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

Tell it like it is!