Tuesday, November 30, 2010

One Baby Step

Well I finally got myself an appointment with a counselor. My first appointment is in 2 weeks. I am actually looking forward to it, a little. I really need help, I need to figure out what is in my brain that is driving me to this repetition of self destruction. I have a lot of childhood issues I need to talk to someone about. My childhood was mostly great with a few dark, dark points. I've hidden those points in the cobwebbed corners of my consciousness because I'd convinced myself they don't matter. Now, I'm starting to believe otherwise. Maybe they do matter. Maybe my feelings do count.

Even if those events have nothing or little to do with my addiction (though they seem like they just may be directly related), it'll be helpful in other ways to work them out I think.

I'm also very nervous. I was so nervous walking in today and making the appointment. I blurted out some speedy introduction (I'll tell you exactly what it was: "I'm a relatively normal person with issues I'd like to work out. Do you offer services for people like me?" it was really fast) and said many stupid things in effort to hide my embarrassment, but as a result, only enhanced it. Luckily, the place I went had no openings in that site, but plenty at another site, so I may never have to see that kind receptionist again.

So that part is over. I think my initial appointment will be difficult. But talking to strangers is easier for me than talking to people I love, at least about heavy issues, so it may not be so bad. I hope I only need it a few weeks.

I hope, with all my heart, that it helps.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, I haven't forgotten about you, I have been pondering what I could comment on that might be of use to you. I don't have much time this morning but I would offer this suggestion: get Elder Richard G. Scott's book "Finding Peace, Joy, and Happiness" and read it, it has helped me so much with my current trials that I have gone through and has given me a lot of insight into the process of repentance and the meaning of trials. I strongly encourage you read this book, and that's an odd thing as I don't usually recommend books that you can only find in Deseret Book or on their website. The counselling is a good thing, it will help, I promise, if you want it to, it really will help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. a hundred thanks. I will check out that book.

    ReplyDelete

Tell it like it is!