Monday, July 22, 2013

For Today Only

Dear Lord,

Just for today, I will sacrifice my selfish desires
I will think of Thee every moment
I will take instruction
I will repent.

I will hush.
I will open my heart
And offer its broken pieces
Into Thy hands is my promise, Lord, just for today.

Just for today, Lord, I will forgive myself
I will forgive my enemies who conspire
To destroy my peace.
I will love.

I will breathe.
I will see the beauty
That saturates all the space around me
For just today, I will notice only what is good.

Lord, just for today, I will behave as though
I am who I wish to become
I will be gentle with me
I will seek.

I will find.
I will allow Thy healing
To encompass, comfort, lead
Oh, expunge my soul, Lord! Just for today.

And for today only, I will not give up
But I surrender
I will not look back
But I look up
And to our common enemy, I will not yield!
But in Thy hands, oh Lord, I am clay.
Just for today.

4 comments:

  1. Awesome :) A great reminder that it's only a today thing! The more I worry about tomorrow or THE REST OF MY LIFE, the harder it gets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep! One Day at a Time is serious! :)

      thank you for reading!

      Delete
  2. seriously LOVE it. My favorite lines are at the end - "And for today only, I will not give up
    But I surrender, I will not look back, But I look up." I think the only thing I would amend, and just because today has been a day... I would say just for this hour. lol. Because sometimes. Sometimes it seems like that's what I do. I seriously LOVE this though. Besides being aesthetically appealing, the words are the prayer in my heart. Or the desire of the prayer in my heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hour by hour is necessary sometimes too!! I'm so glad you noticed the aesthetics. :) It's supposed to look like breathing, only it starts with an exhale. I shoulda swapped it.

      Delete

Tell it like it is!