Thursday, May 30, 2013

Response to my Addict

Hello, Addict,

I'm embarrassed to admit that I opened the door to the basement last night. Yes, you caught my attention. I even felt my sanity slipping away. I wanted to listen to you, and not to reason, as a bad choice before me seemed, thanks to you, exceedingly appealing. It's remarkable how you dress evil in such a sparkly, shiny, glorious, nice-smelling shell. I don't really want it, but the packaging sure looks nice, and it makes me think that I do want it. Don't get me wrong- I'm not complimenting you. A lie is a lie no matter how pretty, and dishonesty is evil.

Addict, you are evil. You are my "natural woman" and you are evil. Yes, I heeded to your screams last night. . . some of them. Yes, I opened the door to the basement and let you sweet-talk me. I even gave you snack. But, I want you to be clear on something. You may think that you won, but you didn't.

I lost some ground, but I'm regaining it quickly. You did not win, and let me tell you why. You are still tied up in my basement. You are not free to roam the house. You are not free at all. I have locked the door to the basement and today I'm going to put extra locks and reinforcements on it. You didn't win. You may have gained a little more ground for the moment, but you lost even more than you had before, for the long-term. You. Lose.

You will lose this war. I have God. I will win.

Oh, I know you think my threats are empty. I know you still think you can win this. I know you'll still try. But, I promise you, you will fail. As a child with divine and infinite heritage, with God as my Father and Jesus as my brother and Savior, I was made to overcome this.

I'm glad you made yourself known last night, because it woke me up a little to just how alive you still are. I made some stupid choices, but I did nothing I need to confess; nothing that will keep me out of the temple. And now I know what I need to do to make sure you stay squashed and ignored. You will die. You are dying. God will fight this war for me every moment I let Him.

4 comments:

  1. Stephanie = stronger :) boo-ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I don't really want it, but the packaging sure looks nice, and it makes me think that I do want it."--hahah, reminds me of Target's packaging.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That SO made me think of "The Howling Man" ... one of my favorite Twilight Zone episodes ever.

    http://www.imdb.com/video/hulu/vi4074481433/

    ReplyDelete

Tell it like it is!