Monday, June 3, 2013

Reinforcements; Man Trouble

Every day for the next ten days, I'm going to write here. I'm going to keep myself accountable until I can finally go to the temple. I can't meet with my stake presidency member to sign my recommend until a week from tomorrow night. It seems like such a loooong time! I believe Satan will do what he does best during that time, in hopes to keep me out of the temple.

Well, I've got news for him. Nothing will keep me from the temple! And to make sure, I'm going to take extra precautions, such as keeping a daily accountability here for the next nine days.

I'm feeling some fears creep in. Not about the addiction, but about life. I have learned that fear is dangerous, regardless of its form. So I'm going to give voice to those fears here.

I'm afraid I'll never remarry. There's this guy I have had a crush on for over 18 months. I believe this is the healthiest crush I have ever had. I don't want to kiss him. I don't want to cuddle with him. I just want to know him. I admire him immensely. I admire his deeply founded morals, his intelligence, his humor, his talents. We have talked a little and spent a little bit of time together over the past six months, and he is aware that I dig him. But I have no idea how he feels about me. Well I saw him with another girl the other night and it was painful. They were talking and laughing and being together. It's difficult for me to even admit that, because, I'm thinking, it shouldn't be painful! He is nothing to me! He is not my boyfriend. He is not my husband. It doesn't matter in the least whom he chooses to sit with. I was very surprised that it affected me as much as it did. I have always thought it wouldn't matter to me if he started dating someone who wasn't me.

So, I cried. I admit it! I cried! All the while I'm scolding myself. I shouldn't think this way. It shouldn't matter to me. Of course she likes him; he's the best guy around. She is pretty and outgoing and he needs someone outgoing. But it doesn't matter. Oh my gosh, why am I crying?!? This is so stupid! IT DOESN'T MATTER! I'm so stupid for feeling this way! And I tried to shut up my own feelings, as has been my custom for the past-- oh, I don't know-- lifetime.

But, I can't do that. I have to let my feelings live, no matter how stupid I think they are. They're not stupid anyway, because they're my feelings. So I have been trying to tell myself that it's okay to feel the way I feel about this. 18 months is a long time to have the same crush. I know him quite well, and everything I know about him, I want in a husband. Besides that, he's the only single, LDS man near my age around here that I know of who fits more than two or three of my requirements for a future husband. I like him so much. And I respect him a great deal. And if he gets snatched up by another woman, it seriously seems like I'll die an old maid. No one else around here fits the bill! I need to move to Utah.... haha.

And that's the real reason it upset me. I don't want to die alone. I don't want to be single my whole life. Even though it's likely not true, this guy disappearing from my view would reasonably make it appear that there is no one else for me. I'm not saying he's "for me." I'm saying I don't know of anyone else who possibly could be. My vision is finite, though. But, anyway, it makes sense, kindof, when I think of it like that. In my mind, he represented the only current chance I have at ever finding a healthy relationship/marriage. And then he's off with another woman who is awesome and probably not a sex addict and is much more aggressive than I'll ever be... And there it goes. My last chance.

Man, I'm so glad I wrote that out! Of course he's not my last chance! He is a wonderful man, and I still hope he and I have a chance together, and that's okay. But.... my feelings count, and I'll be alright.

Dear Stephanie,
I'm sorry that happened to you. I know that must have been difficult. It's so hard to be single with kids who don't know what a healthy marriage looks like. It's so hard to have no one to come home to, and no one to come home to you. It's hard. And of course you felt sad when you saw him with that really cool girl. He's a great guy and worthy of your admiration and of your hope. But that doesn't mean he's the only one. God knows exactly where you are right now. He'll listen.

Love, Stephanie.

There. I can be my own friend now- one of the best tools recovery has given me. :D

Another fear I have is that my decision to homeschool my kids next school year was really stupid. Even as I write that, I balk. I don't wanna talk about it. I want to deny it. But, no, I will expose it so I can understand it. I probably haven't written that here- that I intend to homeschool my children. There are many reasons for my choice, and this is not the forum to explain those reasons. But, I quit my job. My plans for income include writing a successful novel. The chances of success from my first novel are slim, yes, but... I think I have something good, here. I think it will be successful. I need it to be, so I can support my family while staying home with them. But what if it's not?

I came to this decision to homeschool my kids after much ponder and prayer. I believe it is right for my family. I cannot, in good conscience, send them back to a public school after learning how the system works. I worked at a school till the end of the year a few weeks ago, and I just can't let them go back. I just can't. I have said I would rather live in a cardboard box and educate my kids myself than live in luxury and send them to a public school. That is how strongly I feel about it. Except, I do NOT want to live in a cardboard box. I don't want to lose what I already have. And, though I started out this summer with extreme confidence, it is already wavering. "What if?" keeps bugging my brain. What if it doesn't work? I'll be out of a job.

But. I'll be okay! DUH! I'm so glad I wrote this. This post, I'm sure, is waaaay more for me than for any of my readers, but I appreciate you reading, anyway. I hope someone else found some value to it.

No matter what, I'll be okay. I know in Whom I have trusted.

11 comments:

  1. Dear Stephanie,

    I agree with Stephanie. I'm sorry to read about what you're going through. Also, you aren't the only one who has been shattered to see someone you have no claim to with another person. So don't feel stupid. Unless I'm stupid too...in that case you have company :) Either way, keep close to the Lord and He will give you the joy you deserve.

    Sincerely, Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you, thank you for your kind and validating response! Sincerely, I thank you!

      Delete
  2. The last line is really the clincher, "No matter what, I'll be okay. I know in Whom I have trusted." That is a difficult thought for me to hang on to sometimes, but soooOOOO important. Once I know that, then things are ok. I know that God is in control. He sees us, He sees YOU. He knows what's best.

    I have had similar conversations with myself in my past as what you posted, in my 'depressive cycles'. And you are right, your feelings are real and beautiful. BUT as hard as it gets, and as hard as it is to admit it, things WILL work out how they should. God loves you... and me :) Sooo much :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to be careful to not hide my feelings, or mock them, because that is when trouble starts for me. If I give them voice, then I don't seek out unhealthy methods of release. :)

      I'm tempted to hurry and pretend like everything is okay because I KNOW that everything will be, in fact, okay, but I gotta work the process, or it becomes not okay. :)

      Thanks for your thoughts!

      Delete
  3. Loved this post, too! Maybe reading about other people's dating life is part of my addiction though, because I can subliminally live through you....not that I'm trying to sound creepy; I just don't know why I take to these stories. I find myself cheering you on--like, "Go Get 'em Stephanie. Tell him how you feel. Knock that other girl out of the way." But, I'm sure that's not what your intentions are in this post. ;)

    Actually, i want to know more about your homeschooling....your reasons behind your reason are intriguing to me. But, I get it...this isn't really the place to divulge all the educational-mess details.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha! You're funny. I'll write my reasons to home school in my non-addict-life blog and link it to ya. :)

      Delete
  4. Love you girlie. And i'd be totally jealous. And my heart aches for you. And I'd be a puddle on the floor too... but I wouldn't be mad at myself, I'd be at the other end, and just really whiney... and maybe a little stalkerish.

    But the Lord is mindful of you. He knows you and the desires of your heart. He hears you and your desires are His desires. But His desire is that you are the best you can be, for your kids and for your future husband. He is preparing you and shedding you of shame and baggage so when you do marry, you can simply focus on happiness:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your understanding!! I know it'll all work out, it's just sometimes hard to remember that when our minds are so finite. :) Love you!

      Delete
  5. What a dumb boy, hello you're gorgeous and spiritual and funny and smart and creative and AMAZING!!! ;) I'm afraid of how long I will take to find marriage as well Stephanie. Traveling through life always single isn't fun, and thinking this could last for such a long time, even one more year, is honestly difficult. We just gotta trust that Heavenly Father will help us find joy in the journey anyway, single or not. I think we'll find it. I love you lots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dusty! It's not easy living this single life! I think we'll find it too. :)

      Delete

Tell it like it is!