Monday, January 21, 2013

Step 12

I have a long way to go, of course, but I can seriously see myself telling the world, my world, about this addiction. I want to. I want to reach other women who are struggling with addiction, who are struggling silently. How many of my Facebook friends are addicts? I don't know, but I am nearly certain that some of them are. Here's the thing: If one of my friends had made an announcement that she was addicted to sex but was in active recovery, and had said so in the time that I was sure I was the only one, that may have rescued me from the obscurity, right then. I would have instantly felt validated, normal, un-freak-ish, and within the grasp of hope. I would have perhaps been able to understand that I didn't have to be in it forever, that if she could recover, then so could I. I would have been inspired and comforted.

If I can do that for one woman, by telling the world that I'm a recovering sex addict, then all the potential backlash or judgement would be worth it.

Don't worry. I have no plans to do this any time soon. I'd at least like to get a year of sobriety under my belt before I presume to help others.

In the meantime, I guess I better get working on the rest of my steps.

Happy recovering, friends!

5 comments:

  1. I understand that feeling. In fact it was confirmed to me that I will be helping others because of my addictions, when the time comes, which is not now but I have faith it will. Wether it's another woman or my own boys I don't know. But it's a beautiful feeling to know we can help others once we have found that healing ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will be a huge - let me reiterate... BOTH OF YOU will be huge forces for spreading hope... the Lord WILL use you. You DO have value and purpose. He DOES turn our greatest weaknesses into strengths!

    Keep in mind He will give you little opportunities for step 12's along your path... he likes you to get your feet wet... so stay close to Him and be tuned in to the Spirit and opportunities will come!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing. It is SO important to share your story to support others in finding and continuing their healing. However, it is also VERY IMPORTANT to make sure you have walked far enough on your own path of recovery to handle whatever reactions you get.

    ReplyDelete
  4. >>If I can do that for one woman, by telling the world that I'm a recovering sex addict, then all the potential backlash or judgement would be worth it. <<

    You already have! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete

Tell it like it is!