Saturday, January 26, 2013

The Power of Music

Those near and dear to me, and even those who are merely acquaintances, know that I love music. My profession and hobbies have something to do with music. I love it. Music lifts and heals me.

Now, I have always loved music. But, these last few months, God has connected me with music nearly every day, in a big way. I'm starting to wonder if it was to help me out of this addiction. I am surrounded, daily, by beautiful, inspiring music! Music of the Great Composers, or music of Americana with inspiring lyrics, or delightful ditties... music all around me. Also, He has recently made it known to me that I can write music. Oh, and how good it feels to create.

Music is a gift from God, and, like most gifts from God, can also manipulated by the Adversary, and become a tool of the devil. Music, I believe, is fundamentally good! And it must be, in order for Satan to twist it for his own use. Aren't all of his lies a twisted version of the Truth?

The lie usually seems easier, and often seems more enjoyable. But, as is the case in all of his lies, the Truth is far more beautiful than the lie. Sometimes it seems easier to listen to the music that inspires anger and fear. It is alluring because it can make the listener feel validated. But, music is so powerful that it can alter one's mood! Why would I choose to feed my mood with anger and hate and bitterness?

When I choose to listen to music that will enrich my soul as opposed to music that will keep or bring me down, I am empowered! I always have a song in my head. It has recently come to my attention that this isn't true for everyone, and I can't imagine having a songless mind at any moment! How is it even possible? It's so weird to me! ha. Anyway, when I listen to good, inspiring music, I have good, inspiring music playing in my head. Over the past few months, I have come to recognize the power this gives me.

I'm not saying there is not value to a sad song. Often, there is a beauty to melancholy, particularly in a haunting, minor melody. However, lately, I have been choosing to rise above melancholy, and have been using music to facilitate that.

I'm amazed by the power it has on shaping my day, my attitude, my very choices.

Thank you, God, for leading me on a path that brought me to a place of constant, beautiful music.

It seems to me that my Heavenly Father really, genuinely wants me to be happy, free, and His. He must think I'm pretty special.

In my head now is this beautiful piece:

8 comments:

  1. This is so true! I find myself switching to the Christian music station because all the songs on the regular stations are like a minefield. And the hymns are so powerful! Thank you for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I listen to the Christian station frequently myself!

      Thanks. :)

      Delete
  2. Ah, great post. As always. You describe music very poignantly here. Could you post a list of songs that have really inspired and helped you??

    Music is a realm that I have used to medicate my feelings of loneliness and pain and frustrations...so much of my music tastes involve fast, semi-angry, powerful music. (if it's music at all). I need a better selection. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! I love so much music. My FAVORITES right now are the likes of Eric Whitacre and Isaac Shepard. Eric Whitacre is amazing! He creates these beautiful choral pieces that are at once calming and inspiring. It's probably not your normal type of music, but give him a try. :)

      I intend to make a post this week about my favorite pieces, including links.

      The thing about music is that it's just like everything else. Sometimes you have to train yourself to enjoy what's good as opposed to what's easy. The music of the great composers- Bach, Beethoven, Chopin, etc- is so intricate and so powerful and often overlooked because it's honestly not as "easy" to listen to as other types of music. But so much can be learned from them! That is, in my experience.

      I actually teach music at an elementary school and as the kids are learning about the great composers, they are so excited. They connect readily with the music. At first, they did not want to learn about composers, but now that we've studied a few, they can't wait to learn about the next guy! It's awesome.

      I also very much enjoy less ancient stuff. :) I like Glen Hansard and Paulo Nutini. These guys have lyrics. :)

      Well I hope that helps ya! Thanks so much for your kind words!!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the tips. I am going to look these guys up when i get the chance! and i await your next music post.

      Delete
  3. I love this and agree full heartedly. Sadly there are several of my favorite bands I can no longer listen to because they may stir up feelings, a particular person or event. All I listen to is Christian radio or LDS hymns. My husband sings in a men's choir and I have found many of those songs very helpful too, something about men's voices singing really calms me.
    I know you didn't ask me Warrior but a few that make me cry every time I hear them are:
    Lead Kindly Light
    Savior Redeemer of my Soul
    First Time by Mercy Me (totally u-tube this one the words are super powerful)
    Who You Are by Unspoken
    You are I am by Mercy Me
    and many many more!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Mercy Me! My favorite ever Christian song is Blessings by Laura Story.

      I also LOVE men's choruses! So amazing.

      Delete
    2. thanks. You all have another way of hearing these songs?? Youtube is blocked on my computer...i'll let you assume why.

      Delete

Tell it like it is!